[lit-ideas] Re: On linguistic and genetic uncertainty

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 14:44:39 -0230

I find the view that, at the end of the day, when the spades are turned, all we
can do is go with the maxim "You show me yours and I'll show you mine" displays
a very  sceptical (indeed almost cynical) view of the rationality of moral
judgement, and of the possibilities for agreement amongst competing conceptions
of the good/authentic life in multiculturally pluralist democracies.

Rorty whole-heartedly supported this kind of incommensurability in his notion of
"final vocabulary" and suggested we just be unabashedly "ethnocentric" about our
fundamental commitments since no non-circular justification of such founding
commitments is possible. He took Habermas, in particular, to task for
maintaining a universalism on epistemic principles and conditions of
discourse/argument. Habermas replied in part by pointing out that any position
on the justifiability (or not) of judgement must itself claim impartiality,
necessity and objectivity (universality) in order to be a sensible and cogent
position on the matter. The agreement Rorty seeks on the justifiability of his
ethnocentrism must be intended as agreement by a universal audience. (Vide
Kant's distinction between "public reason" and "private reason" in "What is
Enlightenment?"

Ca voulait dire, Rorty's espousal of ethnocentrism displays performative
self-contradiction, for what it explicitly says is contradicted by what it
shows in the saying (and *must* show in the saying for the saying to say what
it's saying). Any position that cannot be expressed without contradicting
itself, performatively or logically, is not a rational position to maintain,
and cannot serve as the basis of a Republic of Ends in which members'
self-legislated maxims are governed by reciprocity in universalization.

Just talkin'

Walter O
MUN