[lit-ideas] On being a Marine and an American

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 19:01:43 -0700

I have had lurkers write me recently wondering why I am wasting my time
trying to educate people who are incapable of learning or reasoning.  I
wouldn't go so far as to say what they do, but that is their perception.  I
do indeed think you are severely deceived by Leftist propaganda.  It is no
secret that I believe that.  I can also show and have shown how Leftist
beliefs deviate from American Liberalism.  In fact I am an American Liberal
in the tradition of American Liberalism.  I believe in Freedom, Free Speech,
God, Mother, and Country.  I believe it is our patriotic duty to answer the
call to arms should our duly elected president call us to that.  I believe
in America.  I think it is the best nation that has ever existed.  Liberals
from say Truman's time and earlier would say what I said, but not those who
call themselves Liberals today who have in fact been hijacked by the Left
and aren't Liberal at all.

I have heard some claim that Leftist anti-Americanism is an exercise in free
speech.  Free Speech is an American attribute.  Therefore they are
supporting America, through their Anti-Americanism, by exercising their Free
Speech.   This isn't logical, but one must study logic (which most people
haven't) in order to know that.

As to your claim to know more, or as much about being a Marine from talking
to your son-in-law, as I do from being one, don't forget you disagreed with
me.  You said Marines aren't like what I described them to be because your
son-in-law wasn't.  Your claim was tantamount to saying you knew more than I
did.  To begin with unless your son-in-law is enormously gifted in the art
of communication and has taken the trouble to enlighten you about all his
experiences in the Marine Corps including philosophizing over what it means
to be a Marine; which I doubt (I doubt it because communication is difficult
and most people aren't very good at it) you are very likely over-estimating
your understanding of what it means to your son-in-law to be a Marine.

Also, I think you said your son-in-law was in the Air Wing.  The grunts
don't consider Air Wing Marines real Marines.  Of course it isn't true, but
that is what many of them say.  It is an illustration that the experiences
of grunts are vastly different from the experiences of Air-Wing Marines.
The retired Marines I encountered while working at McDonnell Douglas all had
experience in the Air Wing.  My training was grunt training and while my
experience in Korea was in an Intelligence Unit and technically under the
Air Wing it wasn't working directly with planes.  And then after I got back
I was a Rifle Instructor which was under the Infantry; so these Air Wing
Marines from MacDonnell Douglas thought that in many respects that I seemed
more Marine-gung-ho than they did.

It works like this; the initial training for all Marines is the same.  They
are all trained to be infantry-men, i.e., grunts.  Every Marine has the
basic MOS of "Infantry."  But after specialized schooling some go into the
Air Wing.  These Marines are not subject to the same sort of rigorous
regular training grunts have to endure.   Also, officers are in another
category, a bit removed from what it means to be "typical."  The Sergeants
run the Marine Corps at the working and fighting level and best exemplify
what it means to be a Marine, but everyone who has been through Marine Corps
Boot Camp is a Marine in the truest sense of the word.

 Lawrence