[lit-ideas] Re: On being "Better off"

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 19:57:44 -0800

While I wouldn't claim any artistic merit in the photos I took today:(
http://www.lawrencehelm.com/2010/12/duffy-and-ridgeback-girls.html ) they do
commemorate Duffy's first river-hike off-leash.  I had decided never to let
him hike off-leash, but today Duffy's energy and seeming competence
overruled that decision.

As to David's note, I enjoyed it very much.  It isn't something to agree
with or disagree with necessarily; although I haven't used a bed in at least
thirty years.  My back scrunches up in knots when I do; so I sleep on the
floor.  Of course my Ridgeback girls, and now Duffy, think that a very
proper thing to do and curl up next to me.

There was a day when I looked for interesting odds and ends and old books in
thrift shops, but now I save up my energy for hikes on the river and buy
everything over the internet.  Although I have never purchased any of the
exotic eBay offerings that David occasionally presents to us, I purchase all
my books on Amazon.com or Half.com.  At one time I was buying a lot of books
from eBay but then something went wrong.  Typical eBay book prices are
higher than the prices from Amazon or Half.com.

I did purchase the Olympus E-520 camera (which I learned was just shipped
today.  I thought it was already shipped) on eBay, but I was pitting it
against not only other eBay offerings but "near new" cameras on Amazon.
(Half.com doesn't sell cameras)   Suppose I had purchased the Olympus E-520
at David's estate sale, but when I got it home there was something wrong
with it.  Would I have recourse?  I have never been to an estate sale, but I
rather doubt it.  But if my E-520 arrives DOA from the Georgian Pawnbroker,
I can go back through eBay or PayPal and get my money back.  I might have to
ship it back to Georgia at my expense, but aside from that I would be
reimbursed.

But I do understand David's love for wood.  I can't recall whether I
mentioned that I made (I would have said "make" before my increased interest
photography) hiking sticks, walking sticks, and canes.   In the past, after
sitting at my desk for a bit too long and noticing my back or neck
stiffening up I would go down to the garage and work out a bit with a pulley
machine or free weights, but working on hiking sticks had the same
loosening-up effect.  Of course I would have to find suitable sticks at the
river, cut them there with my small Buck camping saw, bring them home, strip
of the bark, fill in cracks and insect depravations, sand with increasingly
fine grits of sandpaper, stain them one, two, or three times and then add
polyurethane of different types, one two or three times.  There were a lot
of variables and sometimes I would have to redo a stick, take it back down
to bare wood and do the sanding, staining, and finishing all over again.  I
gave a few hiking sticks to relatives, several canes to relatives and
neighbors, but that seemed the end of the practical side of that enterprise.
My son thought he might sell some, but nothing has come of that, and I
rather think he has given up.  People ask me what sort of wood I have used
for these sticks, but I don't know.  I found a lot of it lying under leaves
beneath trees I couldn't identify.  I know there are oaks at the river and
cottonwood trees, but not all the deadwood sticks came from those trees.

I did save perhaps twenty hiking sticks for my own personal use -- and then
Susan got Duffy who has made the carrying of a hiking stick impossible -- at
least I thought so until today when I finally let him walk off-leash.   But
too late!  I have decided to become a photographer!

Lawrence Helm
San Jacinto