[lit-ideas] Re: On Reading Military History

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 09:06:52 -0800

On Mar 3, 2006, at 8:25 AM, Eric wrote:

This is what we are. This is how we do it. This will not change soon. It cannot because this is who and what we are. And that's not to despair, but to recognize what is, where we start from, as Richard Wilbur says in "Walking to Sleep," ... "to stare your brother down/ though the swart crows have pecked his sockets hollow." We have to start somewhere don't we? If we are to start at all?

So refreshing when people do behave well, briefly manage to behave well, and even I manage to do it.

Life is mostly froth and bubble;
Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own.