[lit-ideas] Re: On Names and Respect

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:41:26 -0230

Quoting Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>:

> WO: Although, if I may, when I think of the beauty
> of a deftly executed feint by
> Kovalev that leaves a goalie confused, perplexed
> and bewildered, I fail to find
> phenomenologically any reference within my
> experience to "narrative structure."
> .... Eric's reply needs to show that what I takes
> to be the "beauty" of Kovalev's
> artistry presupposes for its possibility an
> understanding of narrative
> structure - and this not only on my part, but on
> anybody's part who proclaims
> the beauty of Kovalev's moves.
>

> Whether it's Kovalev or Kondrashin or Kogan or
> Kafka or Karpov, there is narrative structure. If
> I understood the goalie's anxiety before Kovalev's
> kick, that is, if I understood scoring in soccer
> (football), I could clearly demonstrate the
> narrative structure.
>
> Walter doesn't have to have a Freitag Triangle in
> mind to appreciate the beauty of an elegant
> maneuver. He does, however, have to have a story
> about the game. The feint and subsequent goal may
> be regarded as a single scene in the larger drama
> of the game. The narrative structure (1) raises
> questions in Walter's mind (Who will win? By how
> much?) and (2) delays answering those questions
> (the various time periods and rules of the game).
>
> Eric

This is all too intellectual and literary for my frame of mind at present. Les
Habs are down 3-0. We're down to the brute reality defined by Tommy Hobbes:
organize your power-play into a harmoniously cooperative society or spend the
rest of the season on the golf course. Everything else is but commentary.

Montreal over Boston 5-2. (Kovalev gets a goal and at least two assists.)

Walter O.
So desperate, he's willing to pray to a Divine Being.  (But as a Deist, not a
Theist, for god's sake.)