[lit-ideas] Re: On Names and Respect

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 01:06:26 -0400

WO: Although, if I may, when I think of the beauty
of a deftly executed feint by
Kovalev that leaves a goalie confused, perplexed
and bewildered, I fail to find
phenomenologically any reference within my
experience to "narrative structure."
.... Eric's reply needs to show that what I takes
to be the "beauty" of Kovalev's
artistry presupposes for its possibility an
understanding of narrative
structure - and this not only on my part, but on
anybody's part who proclaims
the beauty of Kovalev's moves.

Whether it's Kovalev or Kondrashin or Kogan or
Kafka or Karpov, there is narrative structure. If
I understood the goalie's anxiety before Kovalev's
kick, that is, if I understood scoring in soccer
(football), I could clearly demonstrate the
narrative structure.

Walter doesn't have to have a Freitag Triangle in
mind to appreciate the beauty of an elegant
maneuver. He does, however, have to have a story
about the game. The feint and subsequent goal may
be regarded as a single scene in the larger drama
of the game. The narrative structure (1) raises
questions in Walter's mind (Who will win? By how
much?) and (2) delays answering those questions
(the various time periods and rules of the game).

Eric