[lit-ideas] Re: On Names and Respect

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 00:21:58 -0400

Volodsya: The "sky" here is of course the ideals of truth, justice, beauty and the ideal speech community. You got a problem with that?

Obviously not ... since I concocted my cockamamie scenario to elicit your response. Thank you.

However, you should understand that I am a fiction writer and address a less ideal set of values than you do ... instead of truth, paying attention; instead of justice, probable outcomes; instead of pure beauty, narrative structure; instead of an ideal speech community, the bridge from one point of view to another. My concerns only point to yours and only partially comprehend them.

V: The exultation here is morally impermissible, as well as downright disgusting.

Right now, I'm exulting that you replied instead of vamoosing to Festung Idealismus.