[lit-ideas] Re: On Finding a Friend Dead

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:29:25 -0500

On 3/10/2010 12:05 PM, atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
a "poem" to the only people I thought might
understand and judging from the expressions of sympathy

Thank you, Mike. Everyone seems to have immediately understood but me. You are so good at creating scenes, I couldn't tell whether this was something that happened twenty years or twenty hours ago ... that is, until other, more perceptive, people replied to your post.

Many years ago, I was one of the judges at a poetry slam. Young and beautiful Nicole Blackman, who had been my friend, read a long, graphic poem about incest. After the reading, an older woman approached her and thanked her for revealing her pain, said that she had suffered the same way. Nicole laughed in the woman's face, said, "Are you kidding? I made that all up!" and walked away. After that night, Nicole was no longer my friend, and I suppose I've been more reluctant to commit to certainty as far as poetry is concerned. Sorry for the stiff response.

Also, your poem did not strike me as too personal. It was powerful. If I ever finish the piece to my satisfaction, I'll send "The Face of My Father Dying" to the list.

Again, condolences on the loss and apologies for my obtuse reply.

Eric