[lit-ideas] Re: On Being Griced

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 15:46:07 -0800

On Dec 24, 2009, at 5:02 PM, jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

From wiki:
"Most Shetland crofts would have at least one grice kept on grazing lands, though they would often roam across adjacent farmland, rooting up crops and occasionally attacking lambs. This behaviour led to the passing of a "grice law" fining the owner £10 plus the cost of any damages caused by rogue grice. This was such a problem that the townspeople would refer to their
damaged property as being "griced."[citation needed]

In the 1800s, landowners discouraged the keeping of swine on island
crofts. This, combined with the increasing import of other breeds from the Scottish mainland, resulted in a dwindling grice population, and by the 1930s the
breed was extinct. The legacy of grice remains, however. The wild bulb
squill is known locally as grice's onions because it was a favorite food of the
 swine.[3]"

I bet it was a grice that started the Pig War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War

I like, "It's up to you to keep your potatoes out of my pig." There's a farmer who thinks like this in Imnaha.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/12/ critter_controversy_wandering.html

Merry everything to you all.

David Ritchie,
Portland,