[lit-ideas] Re: Old-Fashioned Implicatures

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 11:01:03 +0200

I just thought of a nice new word, 'wordworld.' I suppose that in your
wordworld, 'exigency' features prominently. In Jl's, 'implicature' is
obviously central.

O.K.

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 4:21 AM, Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Jlsperanza asserts that my favorite latinization of an English verb into
an English noun is "color" into "coloratura." Certainly that is a colorful
example and appeals to me strongly, but I reassert here my oft asserted
position that I have no favorites when it comes to the words among whom I
must live out my life. I respect them all as equally as I do my children.
For instance, thinking of my children I am reminded of the noun "mayhem"
which is made more lovely rendered as 'mayhematura". The list (listatura)
of such words is endless (endlessatura). I just want to clarify my
position which is that I play no favorites when it comes to nouns, not even
in the service of philosophy (philosophonia). This is not to say that I
have no special relationship for some words, for example: "exigency" -- for
even with my children I feel a special bondaratura towards those who most
remember me financially.

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 8:52 AM, Redacted sender Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx for
DMARC <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

When Grice coined, in English, 'implicatURE', he couldn't have coined
'implicATE', because such a verb already existed ("Hannibal was
implicated in
the crime"). In earlier times, Sidonius had used 'implicatura', to mean
'entanglement'. Sidonius's use of 'implicature' I call 'old-fashioned'.

I'm not sure Sidonius was coining anything, since Latin is a creative
language, and adding -atura to ANY good ole Roman verb yields the
corresponding
noun (Geary's favourite is 'coloratura').

In a message dated 4/5/2015 6:07:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes in 'Re: whatever': "Replace "went out
of fashion"
(which perhaps wrongly suggests some aesthetic or conventional whim),
with
"became extinct or descended with modification given selection pressures
from
cultural variations", and this kind of talk becomes dangerously close to
problem-solving evolutionary theory of knowledge."

The key element in the above is 'perhaps wrongly suggests':

fashion, c.1300, fasoun, "physical make-up or composition; form, shape;
appearance," from Old French façon, fachon, fazon "face, appearance;
construction, pattern, design; thing done; beauty; manner,
characteristic feature"
(12c.), from Latin factionem (nominative factio) "a making or doing, a
preparing," also "group of people acting together," from facere "to make".

-- which is back to Sidonius, in a way, i.e. (id est) a time when, as
Phoenician had been before, the Roman tongue was 'lingua franca' (Later,
when
used for French, this became a tautology: "The French language is the
French
language").

Cheers,

Speranza