[lit-ideas] Re: Okrentian

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 20:37:53 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 3/15/2013 3:25:57 P.M.  UTC-02, wokshevs@xxxxxx writes:
a comprehensive bibliography
of Okrent's  publications on writers that are very important to my work.

He really has a taste for original titles to his essay.
You're welcome!
His book (one of them) is entitled, "Rational animals",  which Geary should
love.

Note that it's the singular the mediaevalists like Geary use:

Adam was a rational animal.
Eve was a rational animal.
---
Therefore, Adam and Eve were rational animals.

In plural Latin it's quite a different thing.
R. Paul should perhaps know (or perhaps shouldn't) whereas Aristotle (his
idol, or one of his idols) ever uses "rational animals", as per title of
Okrent's book, in the plural:

singular neuter: zoon logikon.
Plural neuter: zoa logika.

In modern Greek, I am told, a horse is called 'alogikon' (or variation
thereof), i.e. irrational, since a horse does not speak.

Bates seems like a delightful college for those who love that delightful
state of MAINE. (NOT named after British actor Alan Bates).

Cheers,

Speranza