[lit-ideas] Re: Oh, great!

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:40:56 EDT

Thank God.  There exists one other human being on the planet who views  these
re-enactments the way I do and, unlike myself, is not afraid to say  so.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Oh, great!  Date:
6/29/05 1:23:04 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I don't understand these "re-creations of  battles". The Americans do this
over and over
again with Civil War battles.  And now the Brits are doing naval battles.

These can only be events that  are stripped of all meaning. People die in
battles. Battles
happen because  difference forces are trying to destroy each other. But none
of that happens
in a re-creation. The event is literally only "recreation", as in "a bit of
fun".

War is a horrible thing and I simply don't see why it should be  turned into
amusement.
War-as-amusement only encourages militarization and  makes war into something
acceptable.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com