[lit-ideas] Oh What A Lovely War

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 15:12:42 EDT

D. Ritchie writes of the "Daily Express Community Song Book" (1927) and the
absence of great Great-War material -- as per below --, but note the two gems
whose lyrics he transcribes.

I was reading the bio of Ralph Richardson and see that he was in the cast  of
"Oh What A Lovely War" (Also Maggie Smith and Dirk Bogarde, I understand).
While I have a copy of the audiotape of the London production, I never managed
to see the film (was told it was not that good [as the stage play])  -- but
now wonder if it's on DVD.

In any case, the two song Ritchie transcribes the lyrics for sound as
straight from that show.

Cheers,

JL

----