[lit-ideas] Re: Oh, Take me to JesusLand!

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:46:09 -0500

Andy: To suggest that I would justify suicide bombings or any other kinds of
bombings is someone else's insanity.

V.C. From the discussion I got the impression that you may not send people
to do it but you have some tolerance for it if the reasons are good.  You
are not responsible for people's impressions.  Never the less, I still
stand by my impression.

Andy:A.A. The two are inseparable. And both sides are wrong. (reasons and
actions)

V.C. This is very profound but it leads people in the Middle East nowhere.
And what, pray tell, did the innocent bystanders do when a suicide bomber
detonates himself?  Just as you properly get upset over the civilian
victims in Iraq.  It is also the case with aerial bombing, but almost no
one protests against that.

A.A. How would you characterize an argument that revolves around their
goal being the targeting of civilians (their goal, mind you), and ours the
targeting only of insurgents. Marlena even said to the effect of that our
boys sacrifice themselves for the Iraqis. Sacrificing his life is
something the Christian God did. Sounds pretty divine to me.

V.C.All things considered, and with the objectives of US government, it's
definitely better to target only insurgents.  The truth is, there is no way
to tell who is who.
Which is the genius of guerrilla warfare and the reason why all this death
is for nothing because it can't be "won."  It's not like the war for US
independence from the British.  Re American soldiers sacrificing themselves
for Iraqis is something I don't accept.  I am in real conflict re troops.
On the one hand, I hear them say they are doing their jobs, which reminds
of the defenses at Nuremburg, on the other hand I cry for their young lives
taken and mutilated.  The people responsible are the people in Washington.

Andy: The U.S. has no business sticking its face into other people's
business.
If they want us out, we should leave. If they want us out and we insist on
helping them, that's called trespass. Also known as invasion.

V.C.Agreed.  You might have added that these "wise" old men were tricked by
Chalabi and others.  That they didn't listen to Colin Powell and
historians.  That these people have no character.  That the UN is only
another tool to use.

A.A. Ah, but who asked the Palestinians if they wanted to give up their
homeland?

V.C.No one.  Palestine was a colony of Britain.  The establishment of
Israel was done in the UN.

A.A. You've given no reason why Montana won't work except that for some
reason you don't think it would work. NIMBY is I think the slogan for
that.

V.C. I just don't believe that you can get any of the parties to agree to
it.  For religious reasons, for territorial reasons.  I can't prove it
because I would have to poll all sides and I believe that to be impossible.
If Montana was an option, diplomats would have long ago worked on this.  At
least, it would have been presented to the American public to see how they
might respond to it.

A.A. So throw out one group and give it to the other.

V.C. Terrible, so are you packing your bags yet so you can turn your home,
etc. to Native Americans?  Or don't you consider that a land grab?  But of
course, that is ok.
This country is full of unhappy Native Americans who are, to this day, the
victims of US government, regarding treaties and regard to lots of money
owed.

A.A. A while ago I posted this link on the origins of Israel. Israel has
no legal right to exist. It was pointed out that even Einstein turned down
the presidency of Israel on this basis when it was offered to him.

V.C. I read this. It just shows the validity of my comment earlier that we
are all either victims or beneficiaries of history.  My second observation
is that the history of the Jews and the Palestinians differ widely, but the
article is substantially true.
I have never read that Irgun was a fascist group.  It was, in my opinion, a
terrorist group in modern parlance, or a freedom fighter. This depends on
the custom of the times.  And there is neither wish or grounds for denying
the suffering of the Palestinians.  Just as a side comment, to understand
why some Jews were so adamant at getting their own state, there is
virtually nowhere on earth where they were not, in one way or another,
severely abused if not killed.  The last, best time and place for Jews was
17th century Poland where they were invited into the country by the king.
In my neighborhood, there used to be public swimming pools.  Before WWII,
there was a sign there that said, "no dogs or Jews allowed."

A.A. It's good that you're outraged. But the point was that when we point
one finger at somebody, we have four fingers pointing back at us.

V.C. Yes, exactly.  But you didn't respond re leaving the US and giving the
country back to it's original owners.  That's because you don't want to do
that. Neither do I.
So we do accept injustice but it's easier to condemn those who do it on the
other side of the world.

A.A. The Muslims are jerks too, no doubt about it. But that doesn't give
anybody the right to take their homeland and get righteous about it.

V.C. True.  So why didn't someone go to the aid of countries invaded by
Hitler until it was clear he was a menace to England as well.  Or, Eastern
Europe when over run by Soviets,  Because justice comes at a high price.
Mirror, mirror the wall, whose land am I, you, they sitting on?

A.A. Forgetting about how they lost their homeland in the first place.

V.C. How can we forget?  They are in the news several times a week when one
sends a suicide bomber and the other one retaliates.

A.A. But if the robbery was the loss of your home, I doubt this would
suffice. Especially if you have to sleep in a tent while someone lives in
your house.

V.C.Actually, this happens here now and then, one at a time.  Some kind of
mortgage fraud and identity theft.  And there is no justice for them
either.  One of the problems in the world is that millions of us believe in
absolute justice.  On a practical level, it is not attainable.  The people
who have the ability to do it don't want to.  And then there is still the
issue of people living in glass houses throwing stones.  The Muslims say we
do that and they are right.

A.A. Except that by not seeing the other guy's side, escalation is
guaranteed. The *only* way out is win/win. Win/lose is a formula for
disaster, especially with today's weapons. Check out Iraq if you need
proof.

V.C. If I didn't see the other guy's side I would not be bothering with all
this.  It's because I do see it and I think both sides are heading for
disaster, possibly annihilation.