[lit-ideas] Re: Off-topic tech issue

  • From: Harold Hungerford <hh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 12:49:14 -0700

With Macs, having the date revert to 1904 is usually the first signal that the computer battery needs replacing. With "desktop" Macs, replacement is quick and easy. With iMacs and laptops, not nearly so easy.
Usual battery life is five years, plus/minus. YMMV.

Time to see your friendly repairman before the Mac refuses to start up at all.

Harold Hungerford

On Sep 8, 2005, at 10:14 AM, david ritchie wrote:

On Sep 8, 2005, at 4:51 AM, Teemu Pyyluoma wrote:

The mail below is date stamped
Fri, 01 Jan 1904 00:43:05 -0700
which I guess is 0 in some 32-bit calendar (range O1
Jan 1904 - 31 Dec 2035 is quite common in Microsoft
products for example.)

To further complicate things, for some reason Yahoo
when sorting mail somehow always thinks this is the
newest, so I end up reading it over and over again.
I'm actually starting to like it, someone should add
messing up your system clock to tips for aspiring net
poets

As a technique for getting read, this clearly can't be beat. As a technique for annoying people, it's very clear and neat, so I am today taking Tiger by the tail, bidding "adieu" to O.S. nine point tieu, and with some luck I'll maybe get the date right on all future mail.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon