[lit-ideas] Re: Office Hours

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:18:23 -0700 (PDT)

It's an over the top idea, for sure.  At the very
least, though, it does give a sense of why we have
modernity.  It's completely, absolutely, because of
oil.  Without oil there wouldn't be skyscrapers,
agricultural combines, plastic, of course cars and
planes.  The brain is as useless as ever, but the
energy that has been available for the last 150 years
to do things has been beyond description.  To think
that one gallon of gas can do the work of 40,000 man
hours is mind bending.  That would explain why only a
handful of pyramids but skyscrapers a dime a dozen.  I
take your gist, though, and will make an effort to be
more upbeat.  It's hard, though, no kidding, it's my
new obsession.  Think, think, I gotta think, let's
see, upbeat...