[lit-ideas] Re: Office Hours

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 20:26:17 -0700

So who does have nice offices?

I'll give you one guess. Hint: their travel budget, when last I looked, was less than $100,000... but not a lot less.

How are these things known? We get (no invidious departmental distinctions) one free trip to a conference, symposium, NBA game, or whatever a year. That's all-in; airfare, hotel, etc., with a per-diem for meals. If one wanted (insanely) to attend an APA meeting without delivering or commenting on a paper, one could do that and still attend another event in which one did take part that same year. In light of what colleagues elsewhere tell me this is unbelievably generous.

I'm told that I'm only allowed one free trip on the grounds that I only teach one semester per academic year, if I teach at all, but the dean has been known to be sympathetic.

As for research, well...

Robert Paul