[lit-ideas] Re: Off Base

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 18:19:19 +0100

Ah Book Destiny! I've been searching for such a name for...well no, that's not quite true, though I do recognise the condition.

Lawrence Norfolk sat on my shelf for a good few months after I bought it - In The Shape of a Boar; the title, not a description of the book. Once I'd read that, I had to go out and find his other novels. David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas lasted much less time. But there are a good number of books, mostly novels that I've acquire more for their investment value, not monetary, but enjoyment. For instance, I've a growing collection of Iris Murdoch just waiting for the necessary committment. Is that Author Destiny?

What other forms of destiny are there I wonder. Location Destiny - I've been meaning to visit the Scottish Highlands for years. Vocation Destiny? When I grow up I want to be... Music Destiny?

But you should read Calasso just for his prose if not for his retelling of the mythologies. And likewise you should read Lawrence Norfolk and David Mitchell; the former for his classical underpinnings and the latter for his genius.

Who knows, perhaps one day you'll read something of mine... ;-)

Simon