[lit-ideas] Re: Of Alfred and Other Masques

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 16:54:00 +0000 (GMT)

> My point was that apparently in the original Masque, the
> thing was sung by
> Alfred (the tenor),  but I'm not sure about it. So it's not
> Britannia
> herself  that sings.

oh sorry, JL.  It isn't Britannia who sings, indeed.  And
  yes it should be 'rule' not 'rules'.

> All the Prom perfomers cited by the wiki are female,
> though.

I must look for that, meanwhile, as you say, Thomas Hampson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoHgSLp19YE

and Bryn Terfel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jTgnEHtg2E&feature=watch_response

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR_bJFpilu8

> In my other post, I noted who the singers in the original
> masque were --
> and it is THEM (as recorded by the Baroque revival groups)
> that would give us
> a  painting of the way Arne MEANT the thing to be
> sung, I expect.

yes, these days it's one of the modern arrangements, always

Judy Evans, Cardiff