[lit-ideas] Re: Obama Security-Dog's name outrages Muslims

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 23:48:36 -0500

Judy:I imagine Veronica wondered whether the dog had been invented by a Muslim to wind up fellow Muslims. There is a Mumbai dog called Khan whose name is a provocation, it happens, owned by a Muslim film star, named after another Muslim film star. Not very subtle...

Yes, this is exactly the case. I am very glad that a Muslim in India owns a dog by that name. Re Muslims hating dogs, there are Muslims here (Detroit area suburbs with high concentration of Muslims) who have dogs and at least one I know of in California. So this is just anti-Muslim hysteria. Too much of it I think.

Veronica Caley

Milford, MI

----- Original Message ----- From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, 22 November, 2010, 17:28

On 11/22/2010 12:17 PM, Judith Evans wrote:
> it seems there is indeed a dog called Khan

Glad that's settled.

Also the formulation "[X] outrages Muslims" has long been
laughable.

* Soy protein shake outrages Muslims.

* Paris Hilton outrages Muslims.

* Rational inquiry outrages Muslims.

* Late Beethoven string quartet outrages Muslims.

* Radio telescope outrages Muslims.

* "Every conservation law being a law of symmetry"
outrages Muslims.

* Hilary Putnam outrages Muslims.

* Poorly defined group of non-outraged Muslims
outrages Muslims.

No wonder that two of the world's Mesopotamian sky god
religions are associated with guys named "Mo."

To change your Lit-Ideas settings (subscribe/unsub,
vacation on/off,