[lit-ideas] Re: Obama Critique from Hanson

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 18:35:33 +0000 (GMT)

Veronica

> I had occasion to study a sociological abstract in school
> many years ago that showed that just about everyone in the
> US considers himself middle class.

they were, then.  (Not all! but 'just about everyone' fits non-US standards of
subjective class identification.)  Class structure in the US was
diamond-shaped, with a large middle class and relatively small 'upper' and
'lower' ones.  It's changed, yes... but the diamond is probably still there.

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK