[lit-ideas] Obama Camp Confirms Attempted Iraq Interference

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 00:29:15 -0700

I'm always willing to reexamine evidence and testimony.  I don't get much of
either on Lit-Ideas, but there is quite a bit on the blogs - people reading
the same things I am and . . . coming to the same conclusions:

 <http://tammybruce.com/2008/09/obama_camp_confirms.php>
http://tammybruce.com/2008/09/obama_camp_confirms.php

"Obama Camp Confirms Attempted Iraq Interference

"The New York Post's Amir Taheri was the one to break the fact that Obama,
in this trip to Iraq, had asked the Iraqi government to stop negotiating
with the US on troops withdrawals until after our presidential election.
Effectively, he was trying to stop troops withdrawals while then demanding
the very same thing publicly.

"Scum. Of. The. Earth.

"Now, his campaign has essentially confirmed this, a disgusting effort to
keep our loved ones in harms way because he thought it would help his
campaign. Oh yeah, despite the fact that the story is that Obama confirms
Taheri's charges, and check out the Agence France-Presse headline. (HT
Instapundit).

" <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hi9TDNHvuBZpFsO8ZbiFYsnbIl3A> Obama
camp hits back at Iraq double-talk claim

"Barack Obama's White House campaign angrily denied Monday a report that he
had secretly urged the Iraqis to postpone a deal to withdraw US troops until
after November's election.

"In the New York Post, conservative Iranian-born columnist Amir Taheri
quoted Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari as saying the Democrat made the
demand when he visited Baghdad in July, while publicly demanding an early
withdrawal.

"'He asked why we were not prepared to delay an agreement until after the US
elections and the formation of a new administration in Washington,' Zebari
said in an interview, according to Taheri.

"'However, as an Iraqi, I prefer to have a security agreement that regulates
the activities of foreign troops, rather than keeping the matter open,'
Zebari reportedly said...

"But Obama's national security spokeswoman Wendy Morigi said Taheri's
article bore "as much resemblance to the truth as a McCain campaign
commercial."

"In fact, Obama had told the Iraqis that they should not rush through a
"Strategic Framework Agreement" governing the future of US forces until
after President George W. Bush leaves office, she said.

"Which is exactly what the Taheri story claims Obama tried to do."

That's what I thought too.

Lawrence Helm