[lit-ideas] Re: Obama Awarded Nobel Peace Prize?

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 10:04:55 -0700

On Oct 14, 2009, at 9:03 AM, Paul Stone wrote:

Of course, Arafat, Rabin and Peres won it, so who the Hell knows what goes through the awarders' heads.

I have been thinking about this.  If you look at the list

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/

you may see at least two kinds of prize: those awarded for achievement and those awarded in hope. Oddly Obama's prize seems to belong more to the first half of the twentieth century when Sir Norman Angell and Charles Dawes achieved little, but embodied hope. I imagine the committee sitting and sifting and saying, "We could give it to an NGO, or this person who has done a lot of good, or to that person who took a stand, but who currently represents the best hope for 'fraternity between nations?' Who is 'abolishing or reducing standing armies?' Is anyone 'holding or promoting peace congresses?' With any degree of success? We could decide not to give the award...or there's this fellow in whom people worldwide have invested a lot of hope. We know he may turn out to be no big deal, we know he's done not much more than write a couple of books and get himself elected, but why not take the risk of adding to that investment?"

I imagine a vigorous debate on the five person committee. It's hard to tell from a quotation, but I think I might describe Kaci Kullman Five as tight-lipped. Somewhat less enthusiastic than her left wing colleagues?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091013/ap_on_re_eu/eu_nobel_peace_obama

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon