[lit-ideas] Re: Obama Awarded Nobel Peace Prize?

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 23:41:28 -0700

May I remind all of the process...five people, elected by the Norwegian Parliament... The Peace Prize is quite different from the other prizes, which are subject to severe Swedish process, also no herring allowance.

And who the heck is expert in peace? I went to a school dedicated to peace and international understanding. What do I know about either subject?

Wikipedia doesn't seem to have caught up with the fact that the prize now has its own hall, just off Oslo's harbor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Peace_Prize

If the Obama pick makes any sense at all, it cannot be for what Obama has done. He hasn't had long enough to do anything. It must be for moments like driving into Princes Town on Trinidad in January and seeing all the cheap rip-off shirts, the ones people copied from the web because America had elected a black president and this was clearly a bit of all right which had to be joined in on. That is a kind of peace--knowing your history is likely to be different from that of Grenada and Jamaica... knowing there's not some guy in de white house, wid his eye out for oil off your shore, or gas, which we already got and which we started sendin' and which we gettin' no benefit from dat I can see.

Possibly de worl' learnin'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iocPpL_5Q7Y

According to our newspaper one in four people in the world in Moslem. Not only are they, but most of America also, are unlikely to like Mr. Sparrow.

The road ahead is long. Think of President Obama's prize as a milepost, passed on a bicycle at slow speed; drivers of other vehicles will soon, I think, forget it.

David Ritchie,
not exactly a pacifist, about to sleep in
Portland, Oregon

On Oct 9, 2009, at 10:58 PM, Eric Yost wrote:

Mike: Robinson Jeffers

He opposed US entry into WW2. Sounds more like something you would have advocated, my poetic friend.

Mike: Let's not forget that Obama did not award himself the Nobel Peace Prize, the Nobel Peace Prize people did. And I know why. Because he's best hope going that sanity and civility can prevail.

Recall that I was replying to Ed, who questioned whether Obammy should be given the NP since he was in the act of prosecuting two wars.