[lit-ideas] Re: Oatmeal and the Other

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 17:40:50 -0800

It's cold enough here for a glass of stout.  I rarely drink stout, but there's
something about cold which brings that desire out.  Also some desire for rhymes
apparently.  This morning's estate sale yielded a surprising bounty--three
pairs of shoes for L. which, with tax, turned out to be two.  I'll explain.  L.
likes a kind of clog, Dansko.  They're expensive.  I noted in the estate sale
listing on my computer that some of these were being sold so I hie'd me over in
the rather faint hope that they would be in good shape, in her size,
affordable.  And--'strawdinry luck--they were.  But it turns out that shoes
which are a little big for her are almost big enough for me, so the reference
to "tax" means I'm trying a pair out.

Ellsworth Prouty Conkle was the provocation this missive.  Also, quiet on the
Western Front.  I am still reading PG Wodehouse's letters.  EPC was PGW's
collaborator on a murder mystery play about Burmese head hunters.  One reviewer
wrote, "This is the best play I have ever seen about Oriental headhunters at
large in an English pub.  But I have seen no previous play on this surprising
theme and, after this adventure, I ask for no other." I'd like to find a copy.
The web only gives me E. P. Conkle, "Prologue to Glory."  Wodehouse's letter
opens, "The script is in very good shape, but there is one small hole in it. I
start off with the High Priest haranguing the Rajah and this has to be done in
native dialect.  Have you any friend at the University who could supply any
sort of dialogue, however, meaningless, which would sound *native*?  If so,
will you send some along? I hope you see what I mean?  The High Priest is
talking to the Rajah, against his will, into going to Ireland and getting the
head..."  Sounds really quite Burmese, eh?  And where would you expect to find
an English pub but Ireland?

The daughters leave by car for California on Tuesday.  J. is planning a
multi-course farewell dinner for tomorrow evening.  My mind is on the pass.
Having driven it in winter, I know why I worry.  Nay-chah doesn't fuss with
theory, doesn't care exactly where you find Rajahs, has no native dialect; like
a raptor, she goes straight for the throat.

Carry on.

David Ritchie,
Portland,