[lit-ideas] Re: ON THIS DAY -- and tomorrow

  • From: "- phatic" <phatic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:04:04 +0100

how about this for the double birthday?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DngCw53zD9o

-p

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: "Mike Geary"
  To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: [lit-ideas] ON THIS DAY -- and tomorrow
  Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 16:29:41 -0500

"Today, June 15th, marks the 792nd anniversary of the writ of habeas
corpus....We'd give the [birthday] card to Habeas himself, but he's been
missing since October 17, 2006 -- the day Congress allowed the president
to sign the Military Commissions Act into law." "...Habeas is more than
an idea. It lies at the heart of our national identity and the values
each of us holds. For centuries, Habeas Corpus has stood up for anyone
who was accused of a crime, protecting us against unlawful and indefinite
imprisonment. As our fight to restore Habeas continues, help us show our
appreciation of him by celebrating his birthday with us.
"To learn more about Habeas' birthday, read Anthony Romero's comments on
the Huffington Post."
from the ACLU at aclu@xxxxxxxx Tomorrow, June 16th is Bloom's Day, my
hero.  It is also Erin Holder's birthday (her 24th, I think) which she
will be spending in Winnipeg observing Shiva following the burial of her
grandfather.  I advised her to forget that, convert to Irish Catholic who
dance and drink 'em down into the ground, then get on with some serious
drinking.  But no, Tradition rules.  Alas.  Well, here's to Erin, wishing
her a mournless 25th year. Mike GearyMemphis

---
The more abstract the truth is that you would teach, the more you have to
seduce the senses to it.
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

http://phatic.blogspot.com