[lit-ideas] ON THIS DAY -- and tomorrow

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 16:29:41 -0500

"Today, June 15th, marks the 792nd anniversary of the writ of habeas
corpus....We'd give the [birthday] card to Habeas himself, but he's been
missing since October 17, 2006 -- the day Congress allowed the president to
sign the Military Commissions Act into law."

"...Habeas is more than an idea. It lies at the heart of our national identity
and the values each of us holds. For centuries, Habeas Corpus has stood up for
anyone who was accused of a crime, protecting us against unlawful and
indefinite imprisonment. As our fight to restore Habeas continues, help us show
our appreciation of him by celebrating his birthday with us.

"To learn more about Habeas' birthday, read Anthony Romero's comments on the
Huffington Post."

from the ACLU at aclu@xxxxxxxx

Tomorrow, June 16th is Bloom's Day, my hero.  It is also Erin Holder's birthday
(her 24th, I think) which she will be spending in Winnipeg observing Shiva
following the burial of her grandfather.  I advised her to forget that, convert
to Irish Catholic who dance and drink 'em down into the ground, then get on
with some serious drinking.  But no, Tradition rules.  Alas.  Well, here's to
Erin, wishing her a mournless 25th year.

Mike Geary
Memphis