[lit-ideas] Re: Nutcase Control (law)

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:31:07 -0500

Simon Ward wrote:

. . . .It's astonishing just how much emphasis is placed on a piece of legislation that was written more than two hundred years ago. Does the gun lobby really believe that it has any relevence at all to modern society?

I for one do. I've actually changed my mind over the last few years about this. In general, I'm both a pacifist and a coward. I think it's the job of the military and the police to bear arms and my job to pay them to protect me. (I'll help with this if absolutely demanded of me, but not voluntarily.) I used to think that owning shotguns and sports rifles was just fine, but that owning handguns and military style weapons should be banned.

All that was before Roberto Gonzales, Guantanamo, Abu Grirab, Presidential "signing" exceptions to the law, manipulated intelligence, and the call-up of National Guard units.

Now I think that a "well-regulated militia" is not only a good thing, but a necessity, for the reason the NRA has identified: The government's attempt to create a police state with severe restrictions on personal liberties. Now I might just join the IRA.
If guns are outlawed, only Republicans will own guns.

(Not a typographical error above; Ireland is calling....)

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager                john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                  Lisle, IL, USA