[lit-ideas] Numbers

  • From: AT <atri2715@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 01:15:59 -0500

>>Computers don't read numbers. They only read binary states: on or off.

It is 1 am and I just realized what a number is. Vexing, maddening question.
Robert and Paul--take note, please. Before I forget. I must not let this
contribution go to waste. This is my theory:

There are only two fundamental numbers. 0 and 1. Everything else is a
combination of them, fundamentally speaking. But what do they "mean";  what
"are" they? Platonic forms? The concept of Platonic forms is too confusing to
denote anything unambiguous. What numbers are, perhaps, is: fundamental,
irreducible cognitive units by means of which thought proceeds. Switces,
quanta, discrete mental/ chemical events by means of which we order perception
into 2 fundamental states:

0= nothing, non-existence, emptiness
1= something, everything, existence (ousia, origin, genesis...)

Everything proceeds from there. Could it not be so? The mind is perhaps
binary, and its fundamental units by which thought proceeds is 0 and 1---being
vs. nothingness. The idea of numbers is the idea of a fundamental distinction
between something and nothing. By means of this distinction, nature and
perception become quantifiable, understandable, iterable. Numbers are mnemonic
ways of making sense of perception.  0 and 1,  as pure numbers,  make, not
only thinking, but perception itself possible. They may be the deepest
structure of perception.

I'm not really joking, just freestyling--sorry if this sounds kind of silly
and amateurish, this is a profound question, but I can not expand more now,
just taking a stab in the dark. I'm sure it must have been said before
somewhere. Good night--

Alex Trifan/ Boston