[lit-ideas] Now, wait just a doggone minute!

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:10:26 -0500

For no apparent reason Irene has attacked pornography: "People today appear to
prefer the smell of pine out of a bottle to real pine and other substitutes for
reality (like porn)."  Not only did she disparage pornography for no apparent
reason, it came as a mere gratuituous parenthetical.  I can't let such insult
stand unremarked.  Ergo:

IN DEFENSE OF PORNOGRAPHY

Flowers, after all,
are but Nature's way
of sticking her
(and his)
genitals
in your face.
And proudly.

I'm sure I've sent this many times in the last 7 or 8 years, but I'm so proud
of it that I'm always actively looking for opportunities to repost it (no
riposte, required).

Irene also comments on psychohistorians and trance states.  I appreciate the
fact that history is a maddening subject, but need she be so all inclusive in
her denuciations.  Sure, some historians are crazy as loons, but need she paint
with such a broad brush?  What about Toynbee, for Christsake?  And I'm sure
there are some others.  I just wish Irene wouldn't be so sweeping in her
generalizations.

Mike Geary
Memphis