[lit-ideas] Re: Now That's a Follow-Up Letter

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 13:29:37 -0700

I have been known to complain about stuff, to rant even. Here therefore is a rave to say how pleased the following follow-up letter made me:

We're just checking in to see if you received your order (Churchill's Generals) from Better World Books. If your order hasn't blessed your mailbox just yet, heads are gonna roll in the Mishawaka warehouse! Seriously though, if you haven't received your order or are less than 108.8% satisfied, please reply to this message. Let us know what we can do to flabbergast you with service.

Humbly Yours,

Indaba (our super-cool email robot)

email: help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fund literacy, care for the environment, and get a fair price on the books you want.
BetterWorld.com (http://www.BetterWorld.com/)

2 Million Used Books. Free shipping in the USA, $3.97 worldwide.

Completely different subject--I wrote about hobnobs, a kind of biscuit. I have come across a source that says they're still being massively outsold by Digestive biscuits which, I learned, were invented 150 years ago by Alexander Grant, who worked alongside Robert Mc Vitie in Edinburgh. He thought that using bicarbonate of soda as a rising agent would result in a biscuit that aids digestion. Victorians loved the idea which, it turns out, was wrong; when baked, bicarbonate of soda loses its ability to soothe a stomach. Sales however rose without regard to Truth, and further yet when in 1925 the chocolate coating was added.

And finally, just so you know..., haggis tossing has rules and a championship. The rules: the haggis must be edible (is this possible...?), it must weight one pound eight ounces (no idea why they picked that number), it must be thrown from a platform (usually a whisky barrel; no doubt Walter will lend one if you want to try), the haggis must land without bursting. And the world record, set in 1984...one hundred and eighty feet, ten inches.

Carry on.

David Ritchie,

Portland, Oregon