[lit-ideas] Re: Now I've seen...

  • From: Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:56:28 -0400

To add to this strangeness...

I was driving the short commute to work one morning last week and
there was some kind of traffic hold-up. I bitched and moaned (I have
terrible road-rage in the morning) until the cars began to move again.
When I came upon the disturbance, it was this guy in full Victorian
Dress, complete with bowler hat and Sherlock Holmes pipe on a
Penny-Farthing bicyclette. -- you know the ones where the seat is
about 8 feet in the air and the front wheel is HUGE compared to a
little tiny back wheel... riding down the HIGHWAY. One more reason for
me to always keep my camera in the car. It was surreal.

Another reason... there are a ton of little vegetable stands, flower
sellers and other various greenhouse mom & pop joints all along the 13
km travel from my house to office. Yesterday, I saw a sign for "sweat
corn". I hope that was a spelling error. I love reading signs and do
collect as many as I can remember when I don't have my camera. One
sign my wife and I thought was a typo the first dozen times we saw it
was "garlic braid" at a pizza place, until we realized that it was
really a garlic bread braided, in other words, take three pieces of
sausage like dough and braid them together and then cook. I've been
slower to criticize ever since realizing that sometimes our
preconceptions make us laugh haughtily at things we don't really
understand.

standing with an open mind,
on a monday,