[lit-ideas] Re: Nova Scotia and Picasso

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:09:29 -0800

on 1/11/05 10:30 AM, Paul Stone at pas@xxxxxxxx wrote:

I can't believe nobody inquired into
> my whereabouts. What if I were dead? or worse yet, in Nova Scotia?

Are you calling New Scotland "a dump"?

I assumed your absence--since you didn't figure in any of Erin's
photos--must mean that you had set off on a raft, probably with Geary,
Savory and Speranza.  Why did I think this?  I have been reading the
Daedalus catalog again, wherein I found, P.J. Capelotti, "Sea Drift; Rafting
Adventures in the Wake of Kon-Tiki."  After Heyderdal proved his thesis that
Polynesia was settled from Peru ("proved" in this instance having a rather
particular meaning; he demonstrated that the voyage was possible, but
historians now agree that Polynesia was not settled from Peru) others
followed suit: a Mormon who drifted from Redondo Beach to Hawaii to prove
that wise men from Israel had colonized America, an anthropologist who put
five men and six women on a raft to see who would make love to whom first...
I have to buy the book.  I'm also going to buy Geoffrey Regan, "Military
Anecdotes," because it includes the following exchange:

Gestapo officer searching Picasso's flat and finding a photo of Guernica,
"Did you do that?"
Picasso: "No.  You did."

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon