[lit-ideas] Re: Notting or not

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 10:01:29 +0100

On 4-Dec-13, at 6:38 PM, Mike Geary wrote:

Unless, of course, this is just a game that I don't know how to play, don't know the rules or how it ever ends.

Cf.:

        I am sitting with a philosopher in the garden;
        he says again and again 'I know that that’s a tree',
        pointing to a tree that is near us. Someone else
        arrives and hears this, and I tell him: 'This fellow
        isn’t insane. We are only doing philosophy.'

              - Ludwig Wittgenstein, On Certainty

        The fear of science, of "scientism", of "naturalism",
        of self-objectivation, of being turned by too much
        knowledge into a thing rather than a person, is the fear
        that all discourse will become normal discourse.  That
        is, it is the fear that there will be objectively true or
        false answers to every question we ask, so that human
        worth will consist in knowing truths, and human virtue
        will be merely justified true belief.  This is frightening
        because it cuts off the possibility of something new
        under the sun, of human life as poetic rather than merely
        contemplative.

        But the dangers to abnormal discourse do not come
        from science or naturalistic philosophy.  They come
        from the scarcity of food and the secret police.  Given
        leisure and libraries, the conversation which Plato began
        will not end in self-objectivation - not because aspects
        of the world, or of human beings, escape being objects of
        scientific inquiry, but simply because free and leisured
        conversation generates abnormal discourse as the sparks
        fly upward.

              - Richard Rorty, Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature

        As civilized human beings, we are the inheritors,
        neither of an inquiry about ourselves and the world,
        nor of an accumulating body of information, but of a
        conversation, begun in the primeval forests and extended
        and made more articulate in the course of centuries.
        It is a conversation which goes on both in public and
        within each of ourselves. Of course there is argument
        and inquiry and information, but wherever these are profitable
        they are to be recognized as passages in this conversation,
and perhaps they are not the most captivating of the passages ... Conversation is not an enterprise designed to yield an extrinsic profit, a contest where a winner gets a prize, nor is it an activity
        of exegesis; it is an unrehearsed intellectual adventure ...
Education, properly speaking, is an initiation into the skill and
        partnership of this conversation in which we learn to recognize
the voices, to distinguish the proper occasions of utterance, and in which we acquire the intellectual and moral habits appropriate
        to conversation. And it is this conversation which, in the end,
gives place and character to every human activity and utterance.

- Michael Oakeshott, The Voice of Poetry in the Conversation of Mankind

Connecting the dots between these four quotations is left as an exercise for the reader.

Chris Bruce,
remembering what else is born
as the sparks fly upward, in
Kiel, Germany