[lit-ideas] Re: Not very neighbourly

  • From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 13:41:26 -0400

Lawrence: we in the U.S. cannot seriously clash with China.

We could, but even assuming we completely removed China's retaliatory
capacity, nobody in the US would approve of the rampant nuclear fallout.

It is noteworthy that Europeans, and later Americans, were always
interested in opening trade routes and relations with China--a giant
historical arc. Therefore, it would be a shame to spoil it by poisoning
the world with the radioactive dust of all their new cities.

The talk below is interesting for its cultural appreciation of Chinese
civilization.

http://www.ted.com/talks/martin_jacques_understanding_the_rise_of_china.
html