[lit-ideas] Re: Not very neighbourly

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 20:09:58 -0700

Omar,

No, in this case I see Fukuyama's thesis as being more applicable.  History
has come to an end because Liberal-Democracy (Capitalism) has put most of us
in each other's pockets, kitchens and studies.  I am typing this on my
recently purchased (Chinese) Lenovo laptop.  Two of the best fast-food
establishments in the vicinity of my house feature Chinese food.   Thus, we
in the U.S. can't seriously clash with China because if we did how would we
eat?  How would we type these emails (Don't hold me to literality these are
synecdoche's J)?

In fact I don't recall that I ever sided with Huntington over Fukuyama.  The
latter's thesis seems much more plausible.  As to the ongoing clash with
Radical Islam, that sounds like Huntington, but Fukuyama addressed that
saying the radical Islamic force was doomed because Liberal Democracy
out-classed it in every way, and that the Middle East would inevitably
succumb to Big Macks (another synecdoche J)

Lawrence