[lit-ideas] Re: Not in the USA??

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 21:44:57 EST

I THINK the thing, honestly, isn't a unifying thread, but an attempt to  read
an ancient text (the Bible), which is a compendium of hundreds of years of
oral tradition passed on through generations, several different genres of
literature, redactions by the score, LITTERALY, as a single monolithic  text.
And
then to apply the instructions or lessons given by God in that  monolithic
text to our culture, so far removed from the cultures in which it  developed,
without transculturating -- applying the principles allowing for  cultural
changes....and textual criticism...and literary criticism....  and  that just
ain't
gonna work with any degree of cohesiveness.  But treating a  text in that way
is the hallmark of fundamentalism, I think.  And it's so  much easier, more
straight forward -- so many fewer judgement calls to make,  doubts to have.  So
much more work and doubt.  Grey areas are far more  difficult than strict
black & white.

Julie Krueger
doubting plenty
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Not in the USA??
Date: 4/1/05 6:25:39 P.M. Central Standard Time  From: _andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I wondered about this: what's the unifying thread?  anti-abortion, pro-death
penalty,
pro-feeding tubes, pro-war, anti-gay,  anti-secularism, anti-SpongeBob. It's
obviously
self-contradictory. What  ties all of this together?

The Schiavo case really brings this into  focus: the GOP demands that
government stay out of
the states and family  decisions, yet in Schiavo, they tried to override
state and family
law. That  was extremely inconsistent.

I think it's the will to power. They WANT  power. Regardless of the
"details".

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com