[lit-ideas] Re: Not all doom and gloom

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:28:07 -0800 (PST)

Let's try, if you believe French women make better violists in Hindemith's
Sonata for Solo Viola No. 5 then they certainly could play Mr. Frog is Full of
Hops.  What you do while bench pressing and thinking at any time of day has
nothing to do with the music of the French violists.  I grant you that we can
believe anything, including that with today's technology we can pass the speed
of light in a space ship to populate a planet in another galaxy, but it doesn't
mean we can do it.  But, if we have such grandiose fantasies, then surely
tackling a problem that we ourselves created here in our own home has to be far
more doable.  Unfortunately, it will take so much cooperation that it's a
grandiose fantasy itself, every bit as big as colonizing Pluto.  Instead, let's
invade Iran.  It will really take our mind off climate change and oil
depletion, and it will give Japan cover while they build up their military
again.  A bunch of birds with one stone as they say.  No need to
 think this one through either.

Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  >>If we believe that we can colonize other worlds, then certainly we
can clean up this one.

If I believe that French women make better violists in Hindemith's
Sonata for Solo Viola No. 5, then I certainly can bench press over 125
kilograms while thinking about digestion as a metaphor, in Bahia at
midnight.

Stating the obvious,
Eric