[lit-ideas] Re: Norway -- condolences

  • From: Torgeir Fjeld <torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 02:05:42 +0100 (BST)

Thanks to those who have expressed their sympathy with our predicament on o
roff
list. An entire generation of young politicians has been killed or deeply
wounded. A whole country has been moved to tears by the hatred of one
perpetrator. Remember, though, that hatred cannot be defeated with hatred. As
Stine Renate Håheim -- a talented young politician who survived the attack --
put it on CNN, "if one man can demonstrate so much hatred, image how much love
we, as a community, can mobilize."

At the rally in Oslo today 200.000 people showed their  love of democracy,
their
outrage at this senseless act of terror, and their grief and sympathy with the
bereaved and those afflicted. These brutal and cowardly attacks affect all
those
who feel attached to the political  system, youth culture and even national
values: the King said that our  sense of freedom, openness and well-being shall
not be destroyed by this  cowardly attack.

Let us now ensure that the person/s who committed  these atrocities are not
allowed to decide on the agenda. Let us not allow him and those who support the
ideas that  provided justifications for his acts to become centre-pieces of our

conversations and our strengthened  belief in democracy, difference and
tolerance.

torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx        // Ph: (+47) 47851394
http://facebook.com/phatic

-- Fred, frihet og gode offentlige tjenester --