[lit-ideas] Re: None Dare Call It Reason

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 08:09:40 +0900

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 3:47 AM, <wokshevs@xxxxxx> wrote:

> The most systematic explication of the "like" phenomenon in social and
> political
> contexts, is provided in John Rawls's "Political Liberalism." Like, you
> know
> what I mean? No claims of substantive truth or rightness are involved.

Similar effects can be found worldwide in conversational arenas where tact
and prudence (or sheer evasiveness) are valued. My earliest formal education
in this regard was my grandmother telling me a classic joke:

When a politician says yes, he means maybe.
When a politician says maybe, he means no.
When a politician says no, he is no politician.

Juxtaposed with

When a lady says no, she means maybe.
When a lady says maybe, she means yes.
When a lady says yes, she's no lady.