[lit-ideas] Re: None Dare Call It Reason

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:53:02 -0400

Mike,

It doesn't matter what you look like. A couple of years ago when I was too weak to type, you wrote about your childhood. I read that and I immediately tried to think who it was the style and content of the letter reminded me of. It took a year or so before I could remember.

It finally came to me about a year later. Something written by Loren Eisley. As fine a writer as I have ever read that goes right to the heart. The passage that I still remember from his work was about a tree he and his father planted when he was very little. Nearing the end of his life, he went back and looked for it. It had been cut down.

This brought both of us to tears - he when he saw it gone and me when I read it. I don't cry easily. If I did, I wouldn't be on this list. You really ought to be writing and writing.

Veronica the fool, applying for a position with King Lear

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>