[lit-ideas] Re: None Dare Call It Positive Reasons

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 20:00:35 -0500

Damn, Eric, you're as liberal as I am. I agree with all 8 of your points. On some I would go a bit further, e.g. separation of church and state -- I'd tax the churches like all other businesses. But that battle would not be worth the cost at this time, if ever, in this country.

On reducing higher education loans -- I went to college on NDEA loans otherwise I'd never have set foot in a college. Those loans were signed into law in 1958 by Eisenhower and were direct government loans to students. Debt was forgiven by substantial amounts for each year if you taught in elementary or secondary schools after graduation and even more so if you taught in rural or inner city schools. I had to pay back only about 1/4 of the money I borrowed from the government to go to college because I taught in all types of schools. I thought that was a fantastic program, comparable to the GI Bill of Rights -- it increased this country's human capital enormously. Ironically (from a liberal perspective), it was President Johnson who did away with the NDEA and turned over student loans to private banks. I would urge a return to the scheme of NDEA loans, where just about everyone can go to college and grad school and if they contribute five or six years to community service after graduation their loans would be mostly forgiven. This may address your 6th point as well.

Education, education, education, education. From Head Start to Post Graduate. That's the best defense. The best investment. The best social program (and support for the arts, of course, that goes with saying) -- philosophy, not so much.
: )
Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>