[lit-ideas] Re: "No pun intended" -- whose copyright? -- and different 'implicatures'

  • From: "Paul Stone" <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:58:27 -0400

JLS:
> > For Grice (or Griceans), this is a pragmatic contradiction. Because, by
> > pointing  the
> > addressee's attention to the pun, it _is_ somehow intended; yet it is a
> > sneaky act of communication.

Yes, and in some cases this kind of construction is underhanded and
the implicature is insulting. In your case, the utterer is making sure
that his pun doesn't go un-noticed, in my case (to follow) the speaker
thinks he's actually sneaking something by me by pointing it out?

I have a friend who likes to preface his 'advice' with "no offence, but..."

I hypothesize that he knows what he is about to say has a potential to
cause offense, but instead of reconstructing his writing/speaking to
be more diplomatic and less [since he is aware of its potential,
deliberately] offensive, he just blurts it out. I guess I should
appreciate him for his candor.