[lit-ideas] Re: "No offence meant", "None taken": the implicature

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 22:08:44 +0900

On 10/26/07, Eric Dean <ecdean99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am with Mike in not endorsing Andreas's proposed imposition of limits on
> JL (if indeed Andreas was being serious...?); but I think his reasoning does
> a comparable wrong to that which he would redress by not endorsing Andreas's
> imposition of limits.

I rise in support of Eric's position. No moderator wants to be forced to
shut down a frequent and interesting contributor to a list. But if one
particular contributor so overwhelms the list that others complain and head
for the door, that is, indeed, a serious violation of Net etiquette.
Personally, I enjoy Speranza's posts the way I enjoy a strong blue cheese.
One or two bites a day is delightful, so I don't want to use a filter. But
too much and a gag reflex sets in. Moderation is the key to pleasure.

John

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN