[lit-ideas] Re: "No offence meant", "None taken": the implicature

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 00:36:49 -0500

> you gotta stop with the multiple postings per day.

Why????????????   I don't understand.  Who is forced to read his posts?  Is
there a per post charge by the list-serv?  Who is being put out by this?  I
find almost all of JL's posts witty and enlightening and charming.  When he
first started posting back on Phil-Lit people complained and whined about the
length of his posts.  That was quite a while ago.  Now he's more judicious in
the longevity of his posts.  But now people complain about his frequency.  I
think people are just envious of his breath of scope.  I only envy his free
time, as we all must, but why would you or anyone want to impose limits?  If he
has the time and energy and knowledge, more power to him.  He has brought new
life to a dying list.  I don't understand nor will I ever accept any limits on
the freedom to post unless you can show some harm to the community of posters
besides their envy.

Mike Geary
Memphis