[lit-ideas] No ambiguity 2

  • From: karltrogge@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 23:30:04 +0200

On 12-Jul-09, at 10:10 PM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

I meant "Greek".

Nice try - but I'm not letting you off the hook - your original post is all about ENGLISH words. I quote:

"DROP" has only ONE sense.

All the other alleged 'senses' are in fact figurative 'uses'.

The word 'drop' is neither Greek nor derived from a Greek word.

So I will continue with my case. (Why stop when you're on a roll, I say. And having fun.)

Unlike the preceding and the following, this anecdote is TRUE. There is one word in it that has TWO DISTINCT senses, neither of which can be derived from the other. Or would you - or anyone - care to hazard an attempt at showing how either sense is derived from its 'counterpart'?

(Furthermore, in the postscript, you will find a case of SPOKEN ambiguity which you will also be unable to unravel.)

More years ago than I care to calculate I used to spend some time in an establishment bearing the name THE PROFESSIONAL ROCK SHOP. One afternoon I entered to find the proprietor chuckling to himself as he taped a couple of sheets of paper to the display case beside the cash register.

'Take a look at this,' he chortled as he dried away his tears of laughter.

The documents consisted of a survey and a covering letter, each bearing the inscription 'Department of Energy, Mines and Resources'. The letter commenced (something like):

Dear Sir,
We have received notification of the registration of your business THE PROFESSIONAL ROCK SHOP. As a service to professional and amateur mineralogists, we keep a registry of geology-oriented establishments. If you take a moment to fill out and return the enclosed questionnaire, we will refer interested parties to your business as applicable.
Sincerely,
XYZ

The questionnaire contained items asking what, if any, mineralogical specimens were offered for sale, etc., etc.

I had a good laugh myself as I turned to check out the new line of Peavey bass amplifiers.

Karl Trogge
Hamburg

P.S. Not all language is written. The 'subject' header of this post could be either a correct transcription of the spoken phrase 'no ambiguity two' or an erroneous transcription of 'no ambiguity too'. Obviously there is no ONE AND ONLY ONE sense from which the other is (etymologically or semantically) derived.

Karl