[lit-ideas] Re: No ad hominem...Just poetry

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 20:10:03 -0800

Well, I've been gone and you have been being you, all, while I've been, as I say, gone. Tonight I'm listening to Ursula's poem and Mike's and Lawrence's, listening as I read and then let the words, like wine, swill a little. Lawrence finds that minute when doing wrong in a relationship suddenly may come right, that crossing of the river bit. Stream, maybe; river seems too wide. Ursula marks sunlight on arms, nothing to do with weapons, the small but great comfort of natural warmth. Mike, well Mike is gone as a result of what? Words of congratulation and what he sees as censorship. I trust that he'll return.

After the dance competition in Vancouver I went down to the Sound to commune, walking the steps I once described in a poem, reaching the rocky shore and the fabulous view. A man had made piles of balanced rocks, in the spirit of Andy Goldsworthy's work, or perhaps that of the Inuit. He was from Quebec. He called me over. We chatted, sometimes in English, sometimes in a clash of Frenches. I said I admired the beauty of his work, the choices about form he'd made, his sense of color. He said other people run away from him because the strand is deserted, because he has a beard, because he drinks while he works. A woman showed up. There was something between the two of them. I wondered if I was caught in a scheme. I asked her what kind of ducks bobbed on the water. She said they were coots. They asked why I was not afraid, why I did not think them weird. I said that several people around me had died recently and because of this I am no longer so much worried about how the world ought to be; I am trying to enjoy what is. They liked this.

I said "Goodbyes" and left. I have no idea if they were coots... or murderers...but I know that the line between art and murder may be finer than I thought.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon