[lit-ideas] Re: No One Reads History/ A Cool Grot

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 21:35:24 -0700

Did you know that Wellington's dad, the Earl of Mornington, wrote music, "glees, songs and ballads"? "One of his Chants [doesn't say which one] is still echoed in our venerable cathedrals, and is admired by all lovers of sacred music. Five of his glees have retained their great popularity:- 1. 'Hail, hallowed Fane'; 2. 'Come, fairest Nymph'; 3. 'Here is a cool Grot'; 4. 'When for this World's repose'; 5. 'Go, happy Shade. A much respected friend, well acquainted with this class of music, assures me that, on the whole, he prefers Lord Mornington's compositions to those of Sir Henry Bishop; and that his lordship's knowledge of counter-point, and of music as a science, was as profound as his taste was pure. He had begun the study of music as a child, his father having been a musician before him." Macfarlane, Life of Wellington, 1851.

I had no idea what a glee was, but now find that the dad must have been among its last devotees. Fane comes from Latin, a feasty sort of temple. "Hello Holy Temple," was of course not a possible title because "hello" hadn't yet been invented. Same problem with "What Ho, Holy Temple."

After Eton, Wellington went to France to learn at an military academy, but a different one from Napoleon.

'strawdinry.

David Ritchie,
avoiding Carole King, James Taylor and fundraising in
Portland, Oregon