[lit-ideas] Re: Nigerian gun control as an example for us

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 15:45:55 -0700

...Mike said that if you created draconian gun laws peace would
inevitably follow.  Nigeria created draconian gun laws and peace did not
follow.

'Creating' laws is one thing; being able to enforce them is another. It still isn't clear to me when your Nigeria Airlines acquaintances described the situation in Nigeria to you. At present, guns are plentiful as Nike T-shirts in Nigeria.

Your original argument, I thought, was that Nigeria's 'draconian' gun laws, now hopelessly unenforceable, left guns entirely in the hands of criminal gangs, while 'ordinary' citizens were left armed only with ballpoint pens and sharpened toothbrush handles. Hence, gun laws were had proved useless in Nigeria, and thus
would be useless anywhere.

Logique, toujours la logique.

Robert Paul
asking for sense,