[lit-ideas] Re: Nietzsche & truth

  • From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:07:21 +0900

On 2005/01/20, at 23:46, Robert Paul wrote:

> One might wonder what defending a position in this case would amount=20=

> to. What
> grounds other than aesthetic would there be for preferring one=20
> narrative over
> another?

An answer I use with my students is borrowed from Noam Chomsky (from=20
_Syntactic Structures_ as I recall). The trick is that putting aside=20
the quest for Truth with a capital T does not preclude the use of=20
evidence to choose between better and worse theories (some of which may=20=

be framed as stories).

Chomsky describes three distinct views of scientific method, treating=20
each, as an engineer might, as a black box, with identifiable inputs=20
and outputs.

These are

1) Discovery procedures: Input=3Ddata, Output =3D Truth. (This model is=20=

demonstrably false.)

2) Decision procedures: Input =3D data + one theory, Output=3D Decision:=20=

Theory is Right or Wrong. (This model is superior to the first, but=20
still inaccurate.)

3) Evaluation procedures: Input=3D data+ at least two theories, Output=3D =
a=20
judgment that, given the data in hand, one theory is better than the=20
other=81\fits more of them better, accounts for more detail, explains=20
sequence as well as classification...lots of possible criteria.

Model 3) suggests that capital-T Truth, if it exists at all, is a limit=20=

  which human knowledge approaches asymptotically, never quite reaching=20=

it.

I find this model appealing. It seems much more faithful to what=20
scientists and other serious scholars do, improving our understanding=20
without for a moment claiming that we finally know it all. It is also=20
consistent with the theological position to which I came around age=20
fourteen, when reading a collection of translated extracts from various=20=

scriptures, I stumbled across a piece attributed to "the second=20
Isaiah."

"The Lord said to Cyrus the Persian, 'Shall the clay say to the potter,=20=

what makest thou? Let the potsherds  speak to the other potsherds.'"

Later on, while training to work on a telephone crisis line, I was=20
reminded of this passage when one of the missionaries teaching the=20
course said, "Remember you're not God. Just do the best you can."

Sound advice, I thought. Still do.

John L. McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.
55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku